As I look back on my life, the times I look back on with the greatest fondness generally focus on a time when I left town.
A time when I got out.
When I left regular life behind and had a little vacation moment.
With the crazy that has been happening in my life lately, I felt like I needed a break.
I had days in a row off, and so I took the middle day and got out of town.
I only really had the day, but I knew exactly where I wanted to go.
Only 3 short hours away and one of my favorite places on earth.
I have always loved this city.
Its an old settlement by the early members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, begun after fleeing Ohio and Missouri, and abandoned with the threat of mobs and further persecution.
There is a special spirit to this town.
The sacrifice of the former residents of this small city on the banks of the Mississippi makes it even more special.
It was a cold and windy day. 10 degrees colder than forecasted. And when I say windy, I mean-I LITERALLY was blown over into a bench.
I wandered around for a while, visited the Nauvoo temple, and took a walk down Parley street and sat on the bank of the Mississippi.
It was perfect!
The drive there, suddenly I realized I was smiling and I didn't remember when I started, or what started it.
Its been a long time since that happen.
Spontaneous happiness with no clear rhyme or reason.
Its hard to come by.
And thank goodness for Nauvoo for helping me find that.
Like I said-one of my favorite places on earth!
More on my trip to come!!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment