Monday, March 28, 2011

My Journey to Mizzou--Part 3 The Decision

So it has been a while since I wrote parts one and two...so I am finally getting around to writing part three!

The decision process began in January.  I got back from winter break to find a letter from BJC Goldfarb School of Nursing.  THEY WANTED ME!!!!!!  Though they were probably at the bottom of my list, I was grateful to just have one option.  At that point I knew my dream had an opportunity to come true.

A few weeks later I heard from MGH Institute of Health Professions.  They wanted me TOO!!!!!!!  It was crazy!  Then I heard from UM Sinclair School of Nursing...who also had accepted me!  It WAS INSANE!  I truly did not think that I would be three for three.  I still had one more though.

After the ups of hearing from the 3 other schools...a few downs got thrown in.  Middle of January I got an email from Johns Hopkins informing me that several parts of my application were missing.  Cue freak out moment!  Lots of phone calls and emails were sent.  And though it took a while to get a new letter of recommendation and make BYU resend my transcript...finally everything was set.

But obviously Johsn Hopkins was not close to making a decision.  But MGH had to know....and they had to know now!  I had been doing a lot of pro con lists and investigating.  I had been talking with institute directors, people who lived there, academic advisers, friends, and family trying to get all the information and advice that I could.

I took MGH off the list first.  I was stressed beyond belief about having to decide about Boston before I knew about Baltimore.  Though there were lots of pros to living and going to school in Boston, it didn't feel right.  In fact it felt terrible.  Once I chose to not go there I felt so much peace and calm.

Finally I heard from Johns Hopkins.  I was sitting in the testing center...taking a test of course.  When I felt my  phone vibrating at my feet.  I of course couldn't pick up....but when I got out of the test I immediately checked my messages.  And on my phone was one of the BEST messages I have ever gotten.  It was an adviser from Johns Hopkins School of Nursing calling to congratulate me on my application which was..her words not mine....a pleasure to read.  And despite the high level of competition....I HAD BEEN ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously this was my DREAM COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But now I had to make a decision!  Which school was I going to go to???
I had sent in deposits to both Missouri schools just to make sure I had a spot somewhere!

But I had to pick which I would go to.  I pushed the St Louis school off the list....because I wanted more of an adventure then the bedroom I have lived in for 14 years!  Although it was tempting as it was VERY safe!

So it was down to Missouri and Johns Hopkins.  They were very alike.  The pro/con lists were very even which made it super hard.  Their price tags were QUITE different.  TONS of prayers were said.  TONS of tearful phone calls were made to my mom.  Every time I went to the temple...this was the question in my mind.

Johns Hopkins was my dream.  But it would come with a hefty price.  Missouri was the LAST on my list.  But it was still a very good school.

My sweet roommate Andrea summed it up best-----"Which is your dream...to go to Johns Hopkins or to be a nurse?"

I want to save lives...not just physically but emotionally.  I want to be that nurse who holds mom's hand as her child goes into surgery.  I want to be the nurse who comforts the child when mom has to leave for work.  I want to be the nurse who everyone wants cause it doesn't hurt as much when she gives you a shot.  I want to be the nurse who makes every cancer and NICU patient she has, has a little hat to keep them warm.  That is the dream....that is the real dream.

And so I decided...Mizzou here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment