Sunday, June 15, 2014

Since Its Sunday: The Parable of the Elevator

I got to talk to a dear dear friend tonight...tissues and tears abounded.....but I left feeling lifted.


Life throws a lot of curve balls and today I felt like I was in a batting cage with no bat....getting pelted by balls right and left.


So I called a friend and luckily he was still awake and alright with me saying through sobs "I'm coming over...I'm halfway there and I'll see you in 7 minutes"


He is a wise and caring friend...and he let me rant and cry and just get it all out.  And then he gave me some lovely advice.

And he told me something that I am now going to call the parable of the elevator.


We all know how an elevator works.  You push the button.  The cart arrives.  The door opens.  You get in and it takes you where you need to go.

But have you ever thought about what would happen if those steps didn't go in that order?

What if the door opened before the cart arrived?
If the door opened and there was no cart, you would step in and fall, potentially to your death.


Sometimes its all about timing.
And sometimes the closed door is protection.

Its hard to see the closed door.  You push and push and push that button, impatient for the cart to arrive.

And sometimes you wait.  You wait for what seems like forever.

But then finally the door opens and you safely get to your destination.

But if that door had opened early....who knows what would have happened.


Its hard to stand and wait.  Its hard to have the perspective that the cart hasn't yet arrived.

So even when its hard.

We have to be grateful for closed doors.




Anyone who has been following me frequently/for a while (ehem...you know who you are) knows I adore this song.

A beautiful song about seeing the beauty in the heart break of closed doors



No comments:

Post a Comment