This week is no exception
Recently I was introduced to Meg Herndon.
A beautiful and vivacious red head.
A talented soccer player, a go-getter who managed to juggle playing for a Division II team while going to nursing school and working as an aid at a local hospital.
(When I was in nursing school necessities like bathing eating and sleeping became luxuries and she found time to do all that!!!????)
I admired her from the start, and would love to introduce her to you as well.
Sorry-should have warned you to grab a few tissues.
On September 9th, after coming home late from an away game with her team, she rode her scooter to work. And as she was coming around a corner, she was hit head on by a Ford 250.
On September 20th, she passed away, leaving a legacy of love by donating many of her tissues and organs.
And I could get on my organ donation soapbox.
But Cindi, Meg's mother (who introduced me to her) would prefer I mention this.......
Meg was not wearing her helmet.
Its hard to say with the type of collision and the type of injuries she sustained if that would have made any difference.
But does that really matter?
If wearing a helmet would save your life, isn't it worth the helmet hair?
I could list off a million statistics of how helmets save lives. Of how many lives are lost by those not wearing helmets.
But those don't matter. Those are just numbers.
In 2012, a life was lost.
That is what matters.
Don't allow yourself to become a statistic. Don't be one in so many hundred, or the such and such percent of something.
Wear your helmet. Be smart and be safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment