Something my church had begun to do recently is put out "Mormon Messages".
Little videos of inspiration, hope and love.
This one is very special to me.
You might want to grab a tissue (I needed one!)
Please watch......
Now if you wouldn't mind I'd love to talk about it a little.
This topic is close to my heart.
We all have people in our lives who we love, who are struggling with feelings of depression.
Feelings that can, when a perfect storm hits, can develop into thoughts of suicide.
Few of us however are trained in psychology or psychiatry.
I have personally felt like I didn't know what to say and what to do.
I have had friends who have said they didn't know what to say or what to do.
You don't have to know. Of course you want to fix it. Of course you want to say the perfect thing. Find the silver bullet that will save the person you love, even when they don't want to be saved.
But it doesn't have to come from what you say.
It comes from your presence. From being there. From standing by.
When you feel that low its hard to see anyone who cares or anyone who will not be better off without you around.
So prove them wrong. Gently help them see your love.
(I say gently, as forcing yourself on someone doesn't usually end well)
(I say gently, as forcing yourself on someone doesn't usually end well)
Help them know you are there, by being there.
Presence. Its cheesy and cliche. But its the best present you can give.
You may not know someone right now who is struggling with deep and intense thoughts of suicide.
But you know someone who is discouraged. You know someone who is broken hearted and in need of your love. And you never know what personal and internal battle they might be facing.
Look out for them. Love them.
I have watched people turn to the most unlikely of "saviors" in their darkest moments because they knew there would be nothing but love.
Be the person people can turn to. Be the look out. Give the gift of presence and love.
Keep Your Antennas Up
They need you.
No comments:
Post a Comment