Monday, November 22, 2010

Compliments

Sister Bonnie Parkin (leader of my church's women's organization) once said "Never suppress a generous thought."
Most people take this to mean that you never know when what you say or do saves someone's life. Maybe that is a bit dramatic but sometimes a simple smile turns a day around.
But you know what...people still need these generous thoughts even when they are having a good day, a great day even.
I take this quote to cover all types of brightening someone's day. Smiles, service, kind words, a listening ear, a favor, and compliments.

I have been blessed with some excellent liars in my life. They always tell me I look great even when I may not. Then they are very convincing as they assure me they are not lying.
I have had a pretty good day today. Got to hang with my brother who is down from Idaho, got to see my second family and hang out with awesome people from the ward. I was not really in need of any cheering up.
And then I got on Facebook as I was getting ready for bed...and I saw a message pop up from a friend from my ward. He took time to send me a message telling me how nice he thought I smelled today (Forever Sunshine, Bath and Body Works...current favorite scent due to the serious lack of sunshine we are experiecing). He had mentioned it earlier in the night when we had been at the same party, but it was so sweet of him to mention it again.
Even though I didn't NEED the compliment---it was nice to get it.
So never suppress a compliment. If you think someone looks good in green..tell them. If you think they are really good at ______ tell them!!! Tell them Tell them Tell them!!!!!!! Even if they don't need it---its really nice to hear :)

No comments:

Post a Comment