This semester has been CRAZY insane! All my classes matter and require work and attention. But despite this I am taking some of my favorite classes I have ever taken here on campus.
One of these classes is my Moral Development class. Seriously this is a major cardio workout for my brain three days a week. I leave with my world turned upside down, not knowing which way is up and which is down.
I have always considered myself to be comfortable with shades of grey. I believe that there are some absolute universal truths. But that doesn't mean that I do not consider myself a relativist. And that is where the conflict lies. How far do I take my "this is wrong no matter what" and how far do I take my "they have agency and I cannot force my beliefs on others".
There is so much conflict...how does one stand up for their beliefs without seeming cold, callous, or judgemental? At the risk of alienating a dear friend or two.....I shall give an example. I believe marriage is ordained of God and should be between one man and one women. This means that I am against policies supporting gay marriage. And as I say this my heart sinks knowing that someone might misunderstand me. But please listen. This is the universal absolute truth that I believe in. However--this does not mean that I hold an hatred or distaste for those who believe differently from me. I respect your right to determine your absolute truths for yourself. Do I seem unforgiving or terrible? I surely hope not. I love all people no matter who they are. No matter, what all people are children of a loving Heavenly Father and are my spiritual brothers and sisters.
Its hard to deal with some of these difficult questions and there have been many times when I have left this class, turned my head upward and offered a silent prayer of the heart---pleading for love and tolerance as well as strength and conviction...really for more faith to know that there is a plan and all these complex problems will be solved someday by an omnipotent, omniscent and infinately loving God.
Interestingly enough...this was not the post I had planned on writing. And now I have rambled for forever. But this is what I have written...so post I will. Maybe some other day I will post what I originally had been thinking of.
When you started talking about that, the first thing that came to my mind was gay marriage also. I am whole-heartedly against it and know that it's a sin. But is it worth it to spend all my time and energy defeating it if it means I'm taking away their agency? Where's the line? I know how you feel and think about things like that often. Just keep praying for answers and focus on living the best life you can, rather than what's going on around you. :)
ReplyDelete