Anyway this is the type of congregation (we call them wards) I go to now. But today I decided to mix it up. For various reasons I needed a break from the singles scene but still wanted to attend church. So I went to a family ward...located conveniently across the street from my apartment (yes I do think it is INSANE that I normally walk 10 minutes up a huge flight of stairs to get to my normal ward when it take 30 seconds to get to the one RIGHT across the street......side note in my old apartment 2 years ago...I could roll out my window and be in a church parking lot...can't get much closer than that....but still a 10 minute walk!)
So I popped across the street for church. There is a strange phenomenon in family wards....they are not quiet at all!!!! Crying, whimpering, rustling etc. Its all there. Singles wards are disturbingly quiet. A room full of 170 young adults should not be that quiet..its unnatural!!!!
Some say they love the quiet of a singles ward but I love the noise of a family ward. Its comforting. Its flawed. Its real and honest. People aren't perfect and I kinda like being reminded of that. It helps me know that I don't have to be either.


I also got to visit my aunt, uncle and cousins in Orem today. My "family of origin"...family studies speak for my parents and siblings...is AMAZING!!!!! They are the best family a girl could have. And I miss them tons all the time. But I have had the amazing blessing of gaining a second amazing family since I have been out here in Utah. My mother's sister and her husband and children have pulled me into their family of 9 and made me a 10th. And tonight was no different. I needed a recharge...and they made it happen.
There is a reason I am studying what I do. Families are essential. We need them and we need to protect them-both from the inside and the outside.
Funny moment of the day: So seriously How To Train Your Dragon...best movie EVER!!!!
Favorite line???? Try lines!!!"Thank you for summing that up!"
"You just gestured to all of me."
"Oh I am hurt. I am very much hurt!"
"Today is about survival. If you get blasted, you're dead. Quick! What's the first thing you're going to need? A doctor? "
"Most people would leave, but not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues."
"Duh Duh Duh Dum...we're dead"
But the BEST of all??
"Whoa! Toothless! What is wrong with you? Bad dragon! He-he's not usually like this... Oh, no... Toothless, what are you doing? We need her to like us! And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile. "
No comments:
Post a Comment