I've always been a fan of this song.
But I have always been an ANTI-fan of James Taylor
Until this year. When I have come to very much like his version of it
At the risk of being all woe is me and depressing....I would like to point out that the rosey Christmas-y world painted by most Christmas movies and songs and shopping commercials is not the majority of people's experiences.
For many people Christmas is a time when thoughts are not turned to happy things. They are not thinking about packages, boxes, or bags. They are not thinking about mistletoe, holly leaves and yule logs.
They are thinking about the ones they have lost. They are thinking about how in a time when they are supposed to feel loved and warm, they instead feel cold and alone.
Some people have to work on Christmas. Others are sick and in the hospital.
And most for various reasons don't get to be with the ones they love.
Then there are those who don't even have the ability to afford trees and presents and cookies.
BUT
That is why I like this song. It has hope. Next year will be better. And until then we will muddle through. But next year we can be together and all will be well.
And I like that hope!
So have yourself a merry little Christmas everyone. Even if it isn't all Irving Berlin and Burl Ives.
Next year will be better. I promise!

Is that Gus??
ReplyDelete