Friday, March 22, 2013

The Waiting Game

The other day me and a friend were discussing the "waiting game" that is being a young single adult in the Mormon world.

For those who don't know much about the culture of our religion (which is merely based on and related to our beliefs and doctrines-just saying), there is a lot of pressure to become successful in this time of life.  And getting to the "perfect" possible situation.

School, work, and most of all--LOVE.

But a lot of this "perfection" takes waiting.
 
You can't just marry anyone who comes along
(ok so you could...but PLEASE DON'T!!!).

And you can't graduate in a day
(not even if you are a smarty-pants).

Or get a promotion after only working somewhere for 2 weeks
(even if your boss totally loves you).

Its just not how the world works.
And maybe there is just as much waiting later in life.
But for now I'm in this spot.  And I am soooo tired of waiting for "real life" to start.

Now I know there is someone reading this who is saying "Real life is happening all around you if you just paid attention!"

And true---real life is happening right here, right now.  But I'm living at home, working a starter job.  So MY real life---hasn't started yet.


And its kinda a bummer.  We can do all we want to in attempts to make this time worthwhile, but nothing seems to do the trick.

I volunteer, both with my church as well as (possibly) a crisis nursery.  I work hard at my job, trying to learn everything I can and grow as much as I can.  I have hobbies I am working on.  I've started reading (for fun!) again.  I'm taking up yoga (this one is hard-cause I am super un-flexible ).  I'm paying off student loans and creating a small (emphasis on small) savings account.  Plus I'm working towards some pretty significant spiritual goals.

I think I'm doing a decent job of not wasting this time. At least I'm trying to!
So then why does this time still feel un-fulfilling and like I am just sitting around bidding my time??

I don't know-maybe its just cause its so late.  I always wax poetically pensive this late.

I should stop writing-since its now 1 AM and work can officially no longer call me in (WOOT WOOT!)

So I leave you with my FAVORITE waiting song.
(think of the person more as a future life--and you will be much less disappointed by my liking such a cheesy song!)


Also this version is SOOOOO much better than the radio version.  Like seriously people who jumped on the "Have you heard Jason Mraz's new song" bandwagon....the rest of us had been listening to this version for months!!!!!!


So enjoy-And I guess make the most of it.  Even if this waiting game is still an EPIC bummer!



Be Happy Be Healthy!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment