Tuesday, April 2, 2013

My Name is Stephanie and I Have SWSD

I know this is difficult to take in....so I will let you have a moment to collect yourselves.







Now I am sure you are all very frightened-but education is key to not living in fear.


I have shift work sleep disorder.

There are many difficulties that result from my condition.

These include but are not limited to:
-extreme exhaustion at all times of day, night, or evening
-inability to get out of bed before 10 or 11 AM
-inability to sleep when it is dark outside despite your exhaustion
-the need to sleep with ear plugs and a mask...and sometimes a lamp to pretend its daytime
-an insatiable hunger that begins around 11:30 PM and will not cease until I eat a large meal
-a love hate relationship with the sun....sometimes you feel like it is burning you and sometimes you will want to lay out in it in as little clothing as possible because you miss it so much

(yeah there might be some psychological problems related to this)


And there are not just physical-but there are social implications as well
-being awake when all your friends are sleeping-so there is nothing to do
-always sleeping when your friends are doing things
-when your friends are done with their work days, you are just starting yours
-people judge you for sleeping from 9 AM to 4 PM, going to bed at 11 PM, sleeping till 10 AM and then taking a 3 hour nap.  (yes I had 36 hours off and I slept for 20 of them)


Now I don't want you to be too worried (here is a tissue-you look like you need it)
There is a cure...

Switching to day shift.  Now this might be possible-but its going to take some time and patience.


So until then-treatment includes melatonin, lots of sleeping, and hopefully understanding friends.

I ask for your prayers as I fight this battle.
Thank you for your support

;)

Be Happy Be Healthy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment