Saturday, June 15, 2013

Backroads, Railroad Tracks and Fireflies

Ever had a night that you felt like was really close to perfect?


I've had a few times in my life when I have felt TRULY 100% content and happy.

and last night was one of those times.

I was hesitant to go out-just kinda in a blah.  An "I've worked all week and now I am cranky, tired, and pathetic" mood.  But my friends convinced me....so I went over and we chatted for a while, nothing fancy, nothing big.  And then suddenly....we were in the truck...windows down, music at full blast...heading south.

Now we all know how much I love my town.  The city of St Louis is STELLAR and my little corner of suburbia....AMAHZING.
But drive 45 or so minutes south-and BAM-yo South County...or SoCO as the locals call it....and if you know where to go-some of the best spots in town.


There is still an old railroad that runs right along the Mississippi river and if you go at the right time-you can walk along the track, in total still silence with nothing but the quiet rustle of the trees in the wind and the water  lapping against the shore.

If its a clear night, the stars are tremendous and if you are really lucky- you might see one or two shooting across the sky.  The smell of honeysuckle (aka the official smell of summer around here!) is almost intoxicating while the fireflies dance in the woods looking like a professional fireworks show.




It truly was an incredible night.

And though it is cheesy-this will forever be the song that will remind me of the night we left the crazy and just WERE...
Its A Great Day To Be Alive by Travis Tritt on Grooveshark


Sometimes life can be lonely.  Sometimes it gets you down and there are hard times.

But also there are somedays when it seems like nothing can go wrong. 

And those days recharge you and make you remember.


If I ever leave this place-I will certainly miss it-but I will always smile at the memories.




Be Happy Be Healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Totes agree! Best way to start summer! And I'm really glad ya mentioned that song... I've got a lot of catching up to do with all these country classics!!!! Love all mah fab fivers:)

    ReplyDelete