Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Notes From a Nurse-Handwashing

So I'm gonna start this new series.

Not quite sure what direction it will take.

Ever since nursing school, both friends and family have occasionally pulled the traditional
"so you're a nurse" followed by a medically related question.

Its an occupational hazard :)
But I don't mind.
Teachers don't get a monopoly on educating!
And the teaching part of nursing is one of my favorite parts.


So this will be a series for me to share ideas and tips.  Things I have picked up in my time caring for others.

I might also throw in my funny stories.  Cause heaven knows working the night shift I have a few.
(people get funny late at night!)


Anyway...we will see how it goes.

If you have any topics you would like me to discuss....comment below........

Just make sure you do it like my patients always do
Me: Anything else I can do for you?
Them: So I have a question.......



TODAYS SOAPBOX

HANDWASHING....since its the beginning of flu season.....and children's hospitals here in StL are reporting  record flu related visits (and its only NOVEMEBR!)

this diagram is a pretty good one


15-20 seconds people. Sing happy birthday twice.  Sing your ABCs.  Count to 15!



Many studies have been done discovering what parts are most likely to be missed in normal watching.

So along with the time....you need to to get everywhere.
Thumbs and the area between your pointer finger are the biggest offenders.
The back of your hand and in between your fingers come next.

Hot vs cold water, antibacterial soap vs regular soap is not nearly as important as the friction.
Rub rub...and get all the spots!


So thats it!  pretty simple right???
And it will DRAMATICALLY decrease the spread of sickness/germs!

Next time: Tummy Troubles--Why they are happening and what to do about them


Be Happy Be Healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I am a strong believer in handwashing. I even did a study on it. I even printed out a $70 poster and had it up in the Wilk during a presentation. It was beautiful.

    It is considered world wide to be the single-most effective way to prevent disease. I have referred many people to my 15 page paper on it. Handwashing!

    ReplyDelete