(Side note: this is a slightly Mormon focused theory. Though it is highly relevant in all situations and circumstances, it generally is not applicable in the non-Mormon realm of the world)
Many, if not most people use the terms snuggle and cuddle interchangeably.
But stop the presses ladies and gents: cause they are DIFFERENT.
Lets begin with definitions (from Dictionary.com):
Snuggle: to curl up closely or comfortably
Cuddle: to hold, hug tenderly
Now as we can see there is already a distinction. Snuggling is casual and comfortable. Cuddling has feelings and meaning.
Allow me to add another layer
Snuggle: to curl up closely or comfortably, with a close friend whom you care about, or a random stranger
Cuddle: to hold, hug tenderly, with someone you have committed feelings for
Cuddle: to hold, hug tenderly, with someone you have committed feelings for
You see? Its very simple.
Cuddle=Commitment
I shall provide some examples to further support this theory.
I had (well, have she isn't dead!) this friend who had (this one is had) an AMAHZING guy friend. He was always there for her...really stellar. Overtime while watching movies and hanging out at his place, they fell into a snuggling pattern. Neither of them had anyone at the time, and they both appreciated his arm around her...esp at Halloween when they ran a scary movie marathon! However, by the time Christmas rolled around, the activity began to change. He was cuddling....wanting commitment of some sort (not dating or marriage or anything...just that they were more than friends or snuggle buddies). But she was still snuggling. And sadly enough.....she lost this friend.
So that is why it is so important to remember the difference!
If you want commitment...cuddle away!
If not....better stick to the snuggling.
Be Happy...Be Healthy!!!!!
I love that you said that you could snuggle with a random stranger, 'cause you know, stuff happens :). Let me give my interpretation of the two words. When I think of times that I've snuggled I think of snuggling with children. I used to be a nanny for my cousin's kids and they used to have snuggle-time with me. Cuddling is something that you do with another adult, in my opinion, with or without commitment. Just my interpretation of the words.
ReplyDelete