Friday, December 9, 2011

"Hi I'm Stephanie and I'm a Visitor"

So yesterday I went to an AA meeting.

And I was inspired.  Like literally.  This is no joke.  (Its hard to tell if people are joking when they are writing...cause you miss out on tone and facial expression...but I am as serious about this as a heart attack.)

I've always loved the serenity prayer...I've even posted it on this blog before.


God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Such a powerful statement.  It involves taking personal responsibility.  And that was what most impressed me about this meeting...and the people who attended.  We began by going around the room, introducing ourselves.  Everyone knows the pattern..."Hi I'm (insert name here) and I'm an alcoholic (or in my case a visitor)"  But the thing about it is....by identifying themselves in that way, they are taking that responsibility.  They admit that things aren't quite right in their lives and they are there to fix that.

(also ps..AA people are really cool...I introduced myself as a visitor and got the most sincere welcome I have ever received like anywhere!)

Then we got to hear a main speaker tell his story, and then everyone else was able to comment.  This was really interesting.  And despite the fact that they were talking about their problems with alcohol..and I do not have a problem with alcohol (well actually that is a lie...I have a problem with joking about alcohol too much) I still felt like I could gain something from their experiences.

One person talked about the importance of action.  That you can have a desire...but until you make it happen...nothing is going to happen.  If you want to change...just going to meetings isn't going to work...you have to work the program.

Another person talked about the wonderful things that come when you are living life right.  They talk about being rocketed into the fourth dimension.  Which lets be honest kinda sounds like hippie crap.  But really....when you overcome the natural struggles and weaknesses we all have you only get stronger....and your efforts are always rewarded

At the end of every meeting they give away coins to celebrate sobriety. Everyone's accomplishments were celebrated. And after all were handed out...the presenter said the most interesting thing.  "We all have today"  And as I was searching around afterwards...I found the second half of the serenity prayer........

Living one day at a time; 
Enjoying one moment at a time; 
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it; 
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life 
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Pretty nice sentiment eh?

It could be very easy to go to a meeting like this one and sit there thinking...why on earth did these people allow things to get as bad as they did. Why did they take that first drink.  But lets be honest.  That is in the past.  Its over...it can't be changed.  
In the present..today...these people are some of the most impressive people I have ever met.  They are doing everything they can to have the best life that they can.  They want to get clean...they want to be sober.  And they are going to do it.  They stumble sometimes....but they pick themselves back up and start over.  

I was moved.  I know it sounds cheesy.  But I was.  My eyes got watery at moments when I heard them talk about their strength (in the most humble of ways).  

I don't have problems that are nearly as difficult to overcome as alcoholism. And yet these people are having more success in it than I think I could ever dream of.

But all I have is today.  Today to be better.  Today to get stronger.  Today to overcome.......

No day but today!


2 comments:

  1. So what i wanted to know this whole time is why did you go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! I would say that I personally believe that it is possible to attain so to speak a higher dimension of life. It's an art that takes a lifetime to perfect.

    ReplyDelete