Mother's Day is a STUPID holiday.
And like when I said I don't like Valentine's Day...I don't say this because I am not a mom.
I know moms who hate this holiday too.
Today a nice older gentleman wished me a Happy Mother's Day. And for many years when I have been home (with my family) I have been wished such a happy day..and given a gift as a token of the ward's appreciation of me. REALLY????
I never have been a mother...and think by trying to celebrate me...you are diminishing the amazing things that real mothers....like my own...do.
I've never taken care of a puking baby in the middle of the night....or carried one around inside of me for 9 months either! Never sent one off to school everyday or took pictures at concerts, dances and other events. And never have I been a chauffeur...done laundry for more than one...or cooked for a group of various ages and picky-ness levels.
They try to turn Mother's Day into Women's Day (which it is NOT) in an attempt to not marginalize those of us women who have not yet, or will never be blessed with children in the traditional manner.
And I suppose this is all well and good. But (again..maybe an unpopular or strange opinion) but I would like to be marginalized today!
Maybe its just the way certain people spin Mother's Day. Its all about the awesome things moms "do" and "are" which just turns into a list of things moms feel bad about cause they "should" be doing them or "should" be like them.
And its all about how moms are so much better than dads. It drives me crazy when we get so feminist we become anti-boys. But that is for another letter :)
Point of this letter though is this. Happy Mother's Day to all the MOTHERS out there. You are all great. But can I tell you that everyday instead of on a day when someone told me to?
Thanks!
Love
A Swilly Girl
When I first saw this heading, you had me worried. After having read the whole thing, I tip my hat to you, ma'am. Spot on, beautiful, hit the nail right on the head, etc. I don't know if you realize how absolutely right you are about so many things that don't even pertain to mother's day. This is a beautiful stroke of insightful genius. I owe you a cookie.
ReplyDelete