None of you are regular readers...or readers at all.
But if you were you know that this topic has been my soapbox of late.
So I feel like I have to say something.
As I went to the temple with you I was very concerned by something that was said.
I was walking in front of a group of young girls "dissing" each other. One responded that she thought the girls needed to work on their "dissing"
Anyone who knows me knows that when I feel very strongly about something, I have trouble keeping my mouth shut...even when in my head there is a constant mantra of "keep you mouth shut Stephanie...mouth SHUT!"
And I really didn't have much right to say much since I am not their leader...but no leaders were around...and I can't just stand there and allow unkindness to be encouraged!!!!!!!!!!
So I encouraged the girls to not work on their skills in "dissing" but instead on being kind and complimentary.
Then later in the evening I watched a leader belittle and insult one of the young women.
What an example!
It broke my heart.
I remember as a young sensitive 14 year old girl being told negative things about my body by a young women leader.
The words that were said were so untrue it was laughable. But it was so hurtful to me I cried the whole evening, and was very self-conscious for the remainder of the summer.
And almost 10 years later I still remember it like it was yesterday.
My point is. Unkindness is hurtful. And that hurt doesn't go away easily, or quickly.
We need to be careful what we say to others. We need to be kind and complimentary of others.
You never know how harmful or hurtful something you say could be.
Sometimes you can't avoid hurting someone. It is done on accident.
But avoid it as much as you can.
You are beautiful young women...who have the opportunity to be lovely.
Be lovely..I know you can
love this. <3
ReplyDelete