Monday, July 30, 2012

Three Years

Its a weird feeling knowing that I will never (likely, I suppose I should not use superlatives...ps remind me to post about superlatives) work at a library again.

My story with libraries began over 25 years ago.

My mother graduated from BYU (GO COUGARS!!) with a Master's degree in Library Sciences.  A few years down the road she had me.  She took me to libraries and book mobiles and story times my whole life.
Fast forward to my older sisters senior year of high school.
She wanted very much to be a library aid (easy class yahoo senioritis).  The librarians were skeptical, but when they found out this seemingly nice and responsible high school student had a librarian for a mother-they warmed up to the idea.

They loved her as expected...which led to my ability to get a library aid spot there my senior year.

Fast forward another few years.  I've applied for a cataloging job at the Harold B Lee Library at BYU. The fact that I had previous library experience and even more my mother's graduation from a program run by their very library---got me the job.  Which got me my next 2 library jobs.

But I left BYU and thought I was leaving my library work and all the cataloging knowledge that I had crammed in my brain with everything else I learned out there!

BUT Alas libraries were not done with me!  They wanted me for life!
I applied for another cataloging position at Ellis Library at Mizzou.  And according to my boss-once they found out I had experience, I basically only got an interview to make sure I wasn't crazy and the job was mine!

So thanks mom for supplying me with 3 years of pay-checks and padding for my resume :)

I was chatting with my boss' boss on my last day that it would be weird to never work in  library again after over 3 years.  She warned me not to say never.  Cause who knows---I may end up in a health sciences/medical library someday.
I guess they are right-never say never.  But honestly I don't really see it....But I guess who knows!
Only time will tell

Be Happy...Be Healthy

1 comment:

  1. I even worked in the middle school library too...did you ever do that?

    ReplyDelete