Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Few Thoughts on Inde Movies

I want to start off with a warning to anyone who has not yet seen the movie "Like Crazy" and wants to.
This post may contain spoilers (not specifics but details that could lead a person who knows movies well to a very clear conclusion)

So Indie Movies...Independent Films...Artsy Movies...
Movies that go to select theaters....movies that win awards at film festivals.

I have a very love/hate relationship with these movies.

Often I start out LOVING the movie and then get really disappointed when it ends "wrong"---(or in the case of last night's movie...not even ending, just STOPPING) leaving me stunned and either speechlessly staring at the screen or shouting things like "NO!  SERIOUSLY?  NO!"

(Side note-my family always knows when I am watching an indie movie....cause there is lots of yelling at the TV! hahaha)

I don't mind a lot of staring, lots of good unknown alternative music, little talking, artsy lighting and shots.
In fact I rather appreciate those.  I appreciate the real conflict.  Not the contrived conflicts of fake engagements and ruined proms.

But I miss the "perfect" endings.  The happily ever afters.  Maybe, despite their lack of realism they give me hope that maybe unrealistic happy endings could be possible.

But indie movies bring me back to reality.  

The guy doesn't always get the girl.
The girl doesn't always forgive the guy for being dumb (and vise versa)
People get sick.  People die.  People grow apart.  People fight and don't make up.

Depressing right?  But then again...relatable.

And not only that but romantic.  Not the hearts and roses romantic.
But the standing in the rain, sitting on the roof on a summer night romantic. (see future post on this idea :) )


So like I said...love/hate.

What do you think??
Yay or nay for indie movies??
What are your faves??
I always take suggestions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment