Monday, January 23, 2012

"The List" A Retrospective

Alright ladies...rewind in your minds to Young Womens.  You are a little Beehive...and your instructor just pulled out a pink flowery paper with swirlies and hearts scattered on it for you to write your list on.  Your list of perfect male specimen qualities. You in your naive wisdom sit and dream of your prince charming..and your list reflects this picture perfect man

-Curly hair
-Blue or Green Eyes
-Sense of Humor
-Muscles
-Priesthood and Temple Recommend Holder
-Basically the male Mary Poppins....Practically Perfect in Every Way

Ok...Fast forward 2 years.  You are a Mia Maid.  This time you are pretty sure the paper has been sprayed with perfume and is now puking hearts.  You think you are so grown up, and you picture the boy of your dreams...who you will most surely meet at the Stake Dance next month under twinkely lights with either Collide or Hero accompanying you as you dance
-Attractive   
-Understanding/good listener
-Good job that will make you both lots of money        
-Temple Recommend

2 more years???  You are a Laurel and have what you think is a very mature view of the world.  You throw up just a little in your mouth when you see the paper this time.  And though you don't plan on marrying EVER..cause boys are stupid and you are a strong and independent women now, you fill out the list to pacify your very concerned YW leader (who is very worried about how your views of marriage is going effect your salvation)  Plus if your list is long enough....no guy will ever measure up and you will have a perfect excuse to be a spinster
-Temple Recommend
-Adored by my family
-Ambitious/goal-oriented
-Loves me
-Funny
-Smart
-Kind
-Trustworthy
-No brown eyes
-must be at least 6 feet tall 
-doesn't play video games
-will provide well for future family 
-good with/likes kids
-good vision, good teeth
-no genetic conditions


Then college comes.  You meet lots of boys.  And decide boys can be fun.
But then you can't seem to find one who likes you

And watch all your friends get married.  Your list becomes.....
-Male  
-Breathing


But these qualifications don't seem to get you any further than your long list.

So now...college graduate list

-Adored by my family..and adores them too
-Does nothing more than roll his eyes when I scream/squeal/OM GSH at the TV during The Bachelor
-Laughs at me when I yell at the TV during sporting events
-Accepts the fact that my sisters and I sing Veggie Tales at the top of our lungs on long car trips...bonus points for singing along
-Doesn't mind that I hit the snooze button excessively
-Is willing to wash his feet every night before he gets in bed....I HATE FEET!
-Is willing to help fold laundry (I hate it)
-Must mow the lawn or pay someone else too...cause I sure as heck won't
-Will not get annoyed with me when I refuse to kill a bug.  I don't scream...but I also don't kill them if I don't have to!  Also wont judge me when I catch them in a cup so that he can kill them once he gets home
-will be willing to load the dishwasher the way I want it loaded
-understands that sometimes I will just have to "Stop...dance it out"
-will roll with the punches every time we fly....I'm a very anxious traveler
-Is accepting of VERY long weekly conversations with my person ANDREA
-Is alright with my liking of David Archuleta, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, and the Jonas Brothers
-must NOT be a sales guy
-will not make fun of me when I park crooked...as I often do 
-will not laugh when my hands are freezing...my nose is cold and my toes turn a funny color they are so cold
-will understand that I CAN'T sleep if I am hot.  I will open a window in January
-no red heads...sorry our kids would just look too wacky with my German/Italian skin and your red hair
-of course the regulars...Temple Recommend/Priesthood...RM...college degree and ambition...kind...understanding...likes/wants/is good with kids...financially responsible...preferably tall with eyes that are not brown (I want to give our kids a chance)...polite and good-natured



I think my list is even worse now than when I was Laurel!

Shoot...I'm never gonna get married ;) hehe
31 or BUST!!!!  WAHOO!!!

5 comments:

  1. What are you talking about!? Of course I'm going to meet my prince charming next month at the tri-stake dance!!! Of course we'll be listening to "Hero" in Spanish!!! Right under the ancient disco ball that doesn't even work! hehehe :)
    -love,
    your little mia maid ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the idea that he has to be okay with our weekly chats... if not, he can't have you! I won't share if he won't, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I loved this post! It makes me miss you even more! :D Love you!

    ReplyDelete