Its a Since its Sunday Linky Party!!!!
I Love linky parties. They give me ideas of what to write about. Plus I feel like I get to be in the cool kids club haha. And there is the added bonus of possible look-in readers that could turn into followers :) And who wouldn't want that.
Last week I "talked" about a song.
This week I find myself again talking about a song.
Its another one that is very near and dear to my heart...and has honestly gotten me through many of the ups and downs my career has brought me the past 5 years.
So lets rewind as I tell you the story.
Picture me....a young college freshman at BYU
this should help haha
I came to BYU not only for the overall good education and the fun social scene-but also for its nursing school. It had a high reputation.
So I am sitting in a pre-nurse meeting about applying for the program and all that blah blah blah administrative stuff.
And one of the speakers is talking about the program...its mission, its goals, its philosophy.
Being a church school, it of course had a very spiritual twist.
So what was the motto you ask?
"I would learn the healer's art"
Recognize it? It is a line from this song:
Savior, may I learn to love thee, Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another, Finding strength beyond my own.
Savior, may I learn to love thee-Lord, I would follow thee.
Who am I to judge another When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden Sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another? Lord, I would follow thee.
I would be my brother's keeper; I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper-Lord, I would follow thee.
Savior, may I love my brother As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon, For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother-Lord, I would follow thee.
The whole song is essential for nursing. But the third verse has been my favorite ever since.
It got me through anatomy, bio-organic chemistry, physiology and nutrition (which was not hard just positively TERRIBLE!)
When a year later I found out I was not accepted into the BYU nursing program...this song got me through the crushing disappointment. It didn't matter what BYU said....I was going to be a nurse anyway.
When I went through the stress of applying for accelerated programs, this was the song in my mind as I wrote essays and wrote my name on so many forms, I'm pretty sure I may have made a deal with the devil I didn't know about!
When I was accepted into all 4 programs, and had to choose, the words of my roommate and this song came to mind. "What is your goal? To be a nurse...to hold their hand and give them a smile. Then why does it matter where you go to school if either one will help you do that?"
As I moved to a new place and went through the rollercoaster that is nursing school-it was my rock. The song I listened to when I came home from a horrible clinical day. The song that ran through my head during amazing clinical days
.
And now that I am coming to a close on my education and on my way into the big girl nursing world...it is the song I will take with me.
I hope I never forget that I am there to show a gentle heart to the wounded and the weary.
I am a stand in for their Savior. He has asked me to take care of His children.
And I do it-gladly.

LOVE that song! Thanks so much for linking up :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post. It's so nice to know there are caregivers out there working in His name!!
ReplyDeleteThis is so neat, Steph! Thanks for linking up again! :)
ReplyDelete