Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Theory of the Dinosaur

Dinosaur by Kesha on Grooveshark


So yesterday I mentioned that I was told I am intimidating, until you get to know me.  But ummm...how are you going to get to know me if you are scared of me.  This is vicious circle...that I don't see the end of.

My first thought is..well then... I'll be less intimidating.
But I don't know how to be less intimidating.  I don't even try to be.

(I'm just smart, beautiful, accomplished, delightful and magnificent all on accident  HAHA YEAH RIGHT!)

And that's just the thing.  I try to befriend everyone and I try to appear like an open, accepting and kind person...and I really don't exhibit any of the above mentioned qualities.
So then why am I intimidating?

I am reminded me of a conversation I once had with my old roommate Beth
(ps love and miss you my dear!)

We were discussing how Library Boy seemed to be incapable of finding his big boy pants...and then putting those big boy pants on

I knew Library Boy pretty well....and kinda got the impression that he was nervous....scared...afraid.  Beth, of course, like all girls in this situation, couldn't understand.

Why on earth would a guy be scared of me.....
"I'm like the Barney of dating!"
 
But my dear Beth and all other girls out there....
"You are still a dinosaur!"
(PS...please stop for a moment and be impressed that I pulled that metaphor out without hardly thinking..yes I am a metaphorical beast!)
You may be friendly and purple....
but you have teeth...and are alarmingly large

You may not feel you are intimidating.
That you are just a regular girl.
But you are still a girl.
And this comes with an innate intimidating-ness.

But here is the thing....it appears I am intimidating above and beyond the normal level of female intimidating-ness.  The average girl is at a 5...and I seem to be a 10.  Plus...girls are intimidated too!  Not just guys!
Whats up with that???

IM BARNEY FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!

Not cool.  I don't want to be intimidating.  Or unapproachable.  But I also don't want to change to somehow become more accessible.  And to be completely honest...I'm not sure what I would change.

This is a pickle.....that I can't seem to eat....so I blog instead....maybe someone will comment and enlighten me.....

6 comments:

  1. You know what I thought of when I first read the title of this? that stupid song Lyndsey likes hahaha "D-I-N-O-S-A you are a dinosaur!" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so just embedded the song!!! SCORE!

      Delete
    2. My 2 cents for what it's worth. People will be intimidated no matter what you do. They can choose to look beyond what they think they see or not. I think many may be intimidated because you are so confident, you voice your opinion, you have "rules" so to speak. Many may not think they can be around you because they aren't like that. I think though that all those things are good things. You are NOT a spineless girl. You stand up for things, people, and for what you believe and think. If you really want to be less intimidating show a few flaws... show them you aren't perfect. I think people forget that everyone is human. You are loved, liked, and cherished beyond words by many. Hang on and let others catch up to you! Oh and there WILL be a guy that won't be intimidated at all!!! He will blow you away and you will love it! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hey don't dis the dinosaur song!!! :D it teaches me how to spell! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha. I remember that conversation well. While we all may be dinosaurs, there still does exist a huge rift between say Barney and the velociraptors off of Jurassic Park. What did Barney ever do to anyone beyond offering them a hug?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. (yes, it was pretty impressive when you came up with that metaphor like right on the spot).

      Delete